Monday, September 29, 2008

this week on blogger...

John and I spent the weekend cleaning (aka unpacking the rest of our boxes of stuff) and organizing the basement. In one of my bins of random papers I came across all of my old formal dance pictures from high school as well as some great family pics. So this weeks is going to be full of fun memories...

I have no idea why I took this picture but I am so glad I did!! This is a picture of two of my most favorite women ever: Grammy Bach (my mom's mom) and Sonnett S. (one of my dearest friends from high school). Grammy was a huge influence in my life. She forced me to take sewing lessons -for which I will be eternally grateful - and she always encouraged me to develop my talents and explore my interests. The summer I got engaged and was preparing to go to Russia for a semester she sat me down to express a concern. "Honey, you can not wear that ring to Russia. I am afraid someone will try to take it. Let's go look through my jewelery upstairs and see if we can find you a smaller diamond to take." After a couple hours of sorting through her jewelery and hearing stories about all of the individual pieces she realized, to her chagrin, that all of her rings had rocks the same size or bigger. She ended up giving me a plain gold band to wear. Another thing I love about Grammy is that she used to have a huge garden of roses in her back yard in St. George. We would spend many days in the summer cutting roses from her garden to take home or to friends. She loved to spread beauty.

Sonnett was a kindred spirit from the day we met. Which is actually a funny story. We met at young women's camp one summer when we were in middle school. She was not in our ward but had come with a friend, someone I didn't really hang out with. I ended up switching tents so that I could share with them and we could hang out. We spent every night singing and chatting and singing some more and being overly dramatic as only two theater obsessed jr high girls can be!

No comments: