Thursday, May 22, 2008

Twilight fanatic

Ok. I am a self-confessed Twilight series fanatic! I am obsessed with the books and have read them all several times over. I have also tried to convert everyone I talk to into becoming a fanatic right along with me. Here are the top 5 reasons why I like the books:

5) Edward
4) Edward
3) Edward
2) Edward
1) Edward

Just kidding! No really, here is what makes me love these books:

5) They are unique. Instead of taking the classically pictured rising-out-of-the-coffin-turning-into-a-bat-vampires, Stephenie Meyer created these people who just happen to be vampires. They struggle with the same issues we do (ie: love, uncertainty, regret, doubt, faith) they just happen to be super strong, fast and immortal. Oh, yeah, and they drink blood, too.

4) I love the relationships that the characters have with each other. They are not static relationships, you see them progress just like in real life. Bella's relationship with her dad is awkward and uncomfortable at first and by the third book it has morphed into a more regular father, daughter relationship. Although, it is still awkward because really is there any dad who understands a teenage daughter???

3) I love the Jacob-Bella-Edward triangle. Yes, love triangles are so cliche. But this one definitely has some surprising aspects. I am astounded by Edward's ability to be unselfish (although he has had 100 years to work on it) and Jacob's determination (pig-headed though it may be). My favorite chapter in all 3 books is "Fire and Ice" in book 3.

2) I love how Stephenie shares each of the Cullen family members' stories. It gives a depth to each of the character that you don't always get in literature today, especially juvenille lit.

1) The books bring out emotions that I (and pretty much every other girl or woman who reads these books) have been through before. I can identify with the characters in one way or another through personal experience or from a desired experience. All of us want to be loved the way Edward loves Bella! I could probably go on about this forever. My sister-in-law, Jamie, and I spent an entire softball game talking about it last night. =) Needless to say, I am anxiously awaiting book 4 which comes out in August. I am also dying to see the movie of Twilight which hits theaters Dec. 12. So in the mean time, all I have to live off of is the trailers. Enjoy!


See you at the theater!!

2 comments:

ShaNae said...

Totally with you on this one. I vowed not the get sucked into this series, but when I went home for Christmas, my little sister insisted that I read them. I decided I'd give it a try-- and I ended up reading all three of them in three days. I guess it's not an obsession. I've only read them once, and I don't have a favorite chapter. But I am so excited for the next book, and the movie. And I guess you've probably heard that she's working on another series that is from Edward's point of view (if I remember correctly). Good stuff.

Zack said...

Am I seriously the only person in the world who thinks it's creepy that this is basically a love story between a seventeen-year-old girl and some guy who's over a hundred?

Hello, statutory!