Wednesday, March 4, 2009

pregnancy DONT'S

I don't know what it is but people conversing with pregnant women forget that such a thing as tact exists. So I have compiled a list of things said to me and to friends that you should NEVER EVER say to a pregnant woman. Are you taking notes? Good!!!

--Wow! You are HUGE!
--Are you sure you're not having twins/triplets/octuplets?!
--You're having ANOTHER one?
--Your face looks swollen.
--Have your ankles always been that big???
--You are only 20 weeks? Man! You are as big as my wife and she is due any day now!
-- Do you feel like a whale? You sure look like one! (Yes, someone actually said this!)
--Just wait till the next one...

In case you are wondering there are a few things you can always say to a pregnant women that will make them love you forever.

--You look great!
--Are you sure you are six months pregnant? You look like you are only 3!
--You are tiny!

Honestly, if you don't know what to say, remember what your mother always taught you. "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

6 comments:

WhiteEyebrows said...

wow... now that is some nerve some people have...

Rebecca said...

I've got one to add!

"Professor, I know all you can think about right now is your 'bun in the oven,' but can I maybe have an extension on my paper?"

!!! :P

Danielle said...

When do you find out what you are having?

Jamie said...

I cannot believe that someone told you that you look like a whale!!! I think I would hit them. In fact, tell me who it is, and I'll take care of them for you!

yamsey said...

Jamie, the whale comment was directed at a friend of mine by her husband. Yeah, I would have left him too. She thought it was funny. Becca, sorry I forgot about that one.
Danielle, We find out officially some time in the next 2 weeks if it is a boy or girl. Feel free to take your pick in the survey on the sidebar.

Generational stitcher said...

Oh, the things I could add to this. These are so nice compared to something people have said to me...Hum...the best one, when I was pg with Kelsie, "you know you didn't have to have another baby just because we did." And this was said by a MAN. I wasn't very nice in response. I have many others, but this one just leaves the worst taste in my mouth.