Saturday, October 11, 2008

book review


I just read a very entertaining book. It is called My Most Excellent Year: A Novel of Love, Mary Poppins and Fenway Park. I breezed through it in about a day and enjoyed every minute of it! The book is about a group of ninth/tenth graders and is written in the form of English assignments, text messages, emails and notes during study hall. Through their various communications you follow their current predicaments and gain a deeper understanding of how their past has shaped them. It also contains a pluthra of theater references and baseball stories and for those of you -like me- who enjoy that sort of thing.
Just a warning for those of you who are conservative...one of the main characters is flamboyantly gay. So if that bothers you, you might want to skip this one. I thought that particular character was the highlight of the book myself.

No comments: