Tuesday, April 1, 2008

"Free at Last" or "The End of an Era"... I'm not really sure

John was released from the bishopric on Sunday. It was kind of expected since Bishop was called into the stake presidency and our house is up for sale. However, it was more sad than I had anticipated. John had formed strong working relationships with Bishop and Nate and is disappointed that he doesn't get to work with them anymore. I think he also really enjoyed the work he got to do. He loved being part of the YM and primary organizations and he felt like he was using and developing all sort of skills. For my part it was fun to see how much he has grown spiritually and emotionally and how much more smoothly our family life runs - a direct blessing from the calling, I am sure.
That being said, John was called into the bishopric when Sam was 3 months old. It will be so nice to have him sit with us during sacrament meeting. Let him wrestle with the kids for an hour! I will be happy to get my kids to bed on Tuesday nights at 8:00pm rather than 10:00pm due to a YM activity. I will not miss having an exhausted husband on Sunday afternoon and I will be extra glad that his alarm will not be going off next Sunday at the unholy hour of 5:00am!
Of course, after the meeting on Sunday the stake president shook my hand and said, "So are you glad to get your husband back?" I smiled my response. "Don't get too used to it," he replied.
So I guess for the next week or two I will thank my lucky stars I get to see John more and let him change a poopy diaper or two because I am sure (sooner rather than later) another calling is on its way!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Checchio said...

Hopefully you get if for more than a week. I am sure those boys are a handful at church. It must be so strange for him to actually have free time.

Erin said...

That's exciting to have him be able to sit with you now. I don't know how people make it through church with their kids by themselves. I think since Sarah has been born I have only made it through 1 sacrament meeting. And she's 2. Anyway, congrats!