Tuesday, July 3, 2007

work, work, work

I am incredibly envious of those people who have always known what they want to do when they "grew up." I have never had any idea. I know that I do not want to spend every day from 9-5 behind a desk, other than that I am at a loss. In my earliest memories I wanted to be a veterinarian - of course that was before I learned that you have to actually give shots and before I learned that I am allergic to animal dander. I also wanted to be a professional opera singer - until I learned that I really don't enjoy singing opera. I wanted to be a shrink - but honestly two in a family is more than enough. I wanted to be a social worker - but was quickly disallusioned when I moved to Philadelphia and was confronted with the realities of poverty.
The reason this subject has come up again is because my kids are getting to an age where they will be in pre-k and play groups. So now I am looking at becoming a real estate agent. It is not something I would ever have come up with on my own, but John jokingly suggested it and after thinking about it and talking to friends who do it, I think I would really enjoy it. It is a flexible career that involves deskwork but also human interaction when showing houses and working on getting houses sold/bought. I find the whole process fascinating, and since I spend so much time on the internet looking at houses already, it will not be a huge change. Besides even if all I ever do is sell our house and buy us a new one, the benefits will far outweigh the cost of the education. Who knows what will happen, but one thing I do know: I am not a one-job-for-my- entire-lifetime type of person. I am more a try-as-many-different-things-as-you can person. It my be hectic, but hey, that is who I am.

1 comment:

International Tease said...

That sounds excellent--my aunt is a real estate agent and seems to really enjoy it. I think knowing what you want to be when you grow up is highly overrated--and it leads to a lot of people who take their careers really seriously!