Thursday, July 12, 2007

Harry Potter

As this is international Harry Potter month (or at least it should be!) I thought I would put in my two cents.
I can't wait to see Order of the Phoenix. I have spent the last few nights having a Harry Potter marathon of the first four movies. I would have preferred to see #5 when it opened on Wednesday but softball and our babysitters' schedule won't let us get there until Saturday afternoon. I have heard complaints that the movie doesn't follow the book exactly. Well...duh! If the movie followed the book exactly it would be 10 hours long. What I love about the Harry Potter movies is that they take the story and characters I love and brings them to life, highlighting the coolest parts and showing things that I may have had a hard time picturing in my head ie: quidditch and Voldemort sticking out of the back of Professor Quirrell's head. From the clips I have seen I think the movie will be fabulous.
As for the release of book 7, I am so ancy! I reread books 5 and 6 a few months ago and from little things in the text, here is my opinion (notice I said OPINION - feel free to disagree):
1) Snape is evil. He has always despised Harry Potter due to his old hatred for Sirius, Lupin, and James. Those three made Snape afraid and humiliated - something that someone with Snape's personality would never forgive nor forget no matter how much Dumbledore trusted him. Like Anakin Skywalker, the dark side of the force has taken over Snape and he is getting sick of pretending otherwise.
2) Harry will not die. I am betting on Ron, Hermione or Ginny as one of the two casualties. Mr or Mrs Weasley or Neville will be the other casualty. I think JK Rowling is far too attached to Harry to kill him off, but I don't think she would hesitate to improve her plot by killing off someone else Harry loves.
3) Dumbledore is not coming back but there is a chance that Sirius might. Something Dumbledore says in book 5 about the department of mysteries leaves the door open a crack for that. (I don't remember exactly what it was, I'll have to look it up again.)
We will be in Rochester, NY when book 7 is released. Don't worry! I have already tracked down a Borders and preordered our copy. We will be there for the midnight party. Obsessed? Maybe.

No comments: