Thursday, February 17, 2011

breath of spring

Today was the first day of spring weather of the year.  I did not realize how much I have hated the cold until I felt the warmth again. 
This first taste of spring brought to mind spring break and for some reason I started to reminisce about the spring breaks of my childhood.  I grew up in southern Utah.  All of the high school and college students in northern Utah used to come to my hometown for spring break for a taste of sunshine.  For the entire weekend they would hangout on the Boulevard- one of the two main streets of my little town.  There were literally hoards of teenagers just standing around.  It had to be the police department's least favorite time of the year!
Anyway, traffic on the Boulevard was a slow crawl for the entire weekend.  Most locals would avoid it but every once in a while our family would take a drive down it just to gawk at the crowds.  One year my mom and my two teenage sisters were stopped in traffic on the spring-breakified-Boulevard when two guys opened the doors to the car and hopped in the back seat with my sister.  They were just pulling a stunt and didn't look to closely at who was in the car.  They had thought my mom was a teenager too.  Boy, were they embarrassed!  It ended up that the guys actually were good friends with some of our cousins who lived up north.  Small world!  If I remember correctly, my mom even invited them over for dinner.  This quickly became a favorite family story to tell and is one that makes me giggle even after all these years.

No comments: