Monday, April 19, 2010

a few good books

I am working my way through some good books and I wanted to share. 

Impossible by Nancy Werlin (YA)  is a story inspired by the song "Are you Going to Scarborough Fair."  It is written in our time but with a touch of magic and folklore.  I really enjoyed the story and the characters -- a great beach read.  (Warning, this has a disturbing scene, you might want to read it before you pass it off to your daughters.)

Heist Society by Ally Carter (YA)  is an absolute kick!  This is not a continuation of her previous series (Don't Judge a Girl by her Cover (Gallagher Girls)) but is equally enjoyable.  Think of it as "Ocean's Eleven" for teenage girls.

Right now on the recommendation of a friend I am reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel  (adult historical fiction). This is not a book for the faint of heart or the easily disgusted.  It contains a detailed description of foot binding-- I almost had to put it down myself.  However, the story is fascinating and I find myself sickly fascinated to see how it is going to end. 

Let me know what you think and feel free to pass on any good reads you have found.  I am always looking for a good book!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I read Snow Flower and really liked it. Crazy what women went through, huh? I recently read The Help and it was one of my favorite books in a while. I definitely recommend it.

yamsey said...

Thanks Andrea. We are actually reading The Help for bookclub next month. I am looking forward to it.